Sava – Sutla Valley

Sava - Sutla Valley is situated in the western part ofZagreb County, where it borders with Slovenia andKrapinsko – Zagorska County. 

It is an area of richcultural and historic heritage, covered with forests,tame winegrowing green hills and plains, mild slopesand cultured spots of land with many country houses.

Parish Church of St. Vitus the Martyr (Brdovec) – this Baroque church wasconsecrated to the patron saint of the parish, St. Vitus the Martyr, in 1679. Legendsays that one morning, at the site of the present day church the locals found a statueof St. Vitus that had floated down the Sava and was caught in a willow tree, and tothey decided to build a church at that site. St. Vitus is celebrated as a martyr whogave his life for Christ during the period of the Diocletian persecution of Christians in304/305 AD. He was only about ten years old. The story says that he was cast into avat of boiling oil. Today St. Vitus is celebrated as the patron saint of mental patientsand the blind, people with speech problems, and he is also celebrated by wine-makers,beer-makers and pot makers. His feast day is celebrated on 15 June.

Januševec Palace (Prigorje Brdovečko) – situated six kilometres west of Zaprešić,is the most beautiful Croatian palace done in classicist style. This is a monumentof the highest (zero) category and one of the loveliest Classicist palaces in Croatia.It was built by the retired General Vrkljan in 1828, who once served as FinanceMinister to Napoleon’s second wife, Marie Louise. He entrusted its construction toBartol Felbinger, Croatia’s best Classisict architect. In 1845, the castle was sold to E. Corberon, and later changed owners often. In May 1945, it was damaged in anexplosion. It was renovated in the 1970s. The three story palace fits beautifully intothe landscape and is adapted to the slight plateau. The simple rectangular form isdivided proportionally into classicist porticos on the northern and southern facades,while the western side opens into a loggia. The interior is dominated by a central,circular hall, 11 m high, covered with an 8 m dome. The interior walls were paintedwith vistas of various cities. Once the palace was surrounded by an English garden.Today it is used by the State Archive.

Vranyczany-Dobrinović Palace (Laduč) – Baron Vladimir Vranyczany-Dobrinovićentrusted construction of this palace to architect K. Waidman in 1882. This is a twostory palace with altan on the facade, and the interior stands out for its formal,two-wing staircase with balustrade that leads to the first floor. The fantastic ceilingspaintings are the work of Ivan Klausen. The grounds in front of the palace are a French garden. Today, the palace is a children’s home.

Parish Church of St. Anne (Rozga) in Dubravica – the Rozga (Rozgva) parish isseen on old maps from the 13th century. On 26 July of each year, and the first Sundayfollowing, a traditional church feast is held in the parish, including festivities for all.The parish church was erected in 1842. The cemetery chapel in Rozga dates back to1609 when it was called Chapel of Our Lady of Lušak. The church courtyard containsthe old parish court, an important cultural monument of the highest (zero) category,which is a wooden structure more than 300 years old, and is unique to this part ofthe county.

Parish Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Marija GoricaWith the arrival of the Franciscans from the Franciscan province of Bosnia to SvetaGorica (later called Marija Gorica), the church and monastery complex were constructedfrom 1517–1527, and were originally consecrated to St. Peter the Apostle. In the early17th century, the Franciscans tried to turn the church in St. Gorica into a pilgrimagechurch, as the Blessed Virgin Mary was worshipped here due to the miraculous statueof Our Lady that the bishop fleeing from Bosnia donated to the monastery church.For that purpose, the Franciscans renovated and expanded the monastery in 1616,and with the dedication of Zagreb Bishop Martin Borković, the heavenly patron ofthe church was changed. At the same time, the name of the settlement was alsochanged to Marija Gorica, after the new name of the church. Construction of the newmonastery began in 1733, and the new Baroque church was constructed from 1754–1758. The church interior was already complete and furnished by 1761. According tothe annal Mjestopis by Bishop Maksimilijan Vrhovec, the new Marija Gorica parish wasestablished in 1789, and the Franciscans remained here another 40 years, when theold monastery was destroyed in a fire. The new parish court was constructed in 1837.

Sv. Križ (Brdovečki) – archaeological site in the village of Sv. Križ Brdovečki.Archaeological research has confirmed that an urban settlement existed at the siteof the present day Church of the Holy Cross and cemetery in the Iron Age, in about700 B.C. Numerous ceramic fragments of various household dishes and traces ofinhabitation have been found. A grave has also been uncovered in which the deceasedwas buried together with his horse and all the equipment it wore when alive. Such agrave is called a prince’s grave.

Issue: 0 Destination: 0 :